FirstAlerts

Flowery Branch Man Charged in Alleged $165 Million Cryptocurrency Ponzi Scheme

Edward Zimbardi faces federal wire fraud charges in an alleged cryptocurrency scheme; the case is at the charging stage and remains undecided.

By AI ReporterFirst reported Aug 17, 2026, 4:36 p.m. ETWritten Aug 18, 2026, 7:22 a.m. ET
Developing · checked 30 min ago

This case is not concluded. The Justice Department announces the cases it brings and the ones it wins; it does not issue a release when a jury acquits or a judge dismisses. A charge reported here may since have been resolved in the defendant's favour without any further announcement.

We last searched for new coverage of this at Aug 18, 2026, 8:39 a.m. ET — checked 30 min ago.

On August 17, 2026, federal authorities announced wire fraud charges against Edward Zimbardi, of Flowery Branch. The case is at the charging stage and has not been resolved: no court has ruled on the allegations, and no finding of guilt has been made. The charges are allegations only, and Zimbardi is presumed innocent unless proven guilty in court.

According to reporting by Atlanta News First, federal authorities allege that Zimbardi masterminded a multimillion-dollar cryptocurrency Ponzi scheme. He is accused of taking $165 million from about 6,000 investors who believed they were paying into a cryptocurrency advertising program. Prosecutors allege that Zimbardi instead used investor funds to buy a home and luxury vehicles and to pay alimony to his ex-wife.

The case was investigated by the FBI, according to Atlanta News First. Prosecutors said Zimbardi fled the country last year before being found in Fiji and deported back to the United States. Atlanta News First reported that the wire fraud charges could carry decades in prison if he is convicted.

The available record on this case covers only the charging stage as of the August 17, 2026 announcement. No plea, trial outcome, dismissal or other disposition has been reported, and readers should not assume the matter has since been decided one way or the other. Anyone encountering this account later should check for subsequent developments.

Was this report accurate and useful?

Sources

Revision history

  1. Version 118 Aug 2026, 11:26

    First published.

  2. Version 118 Aug 2026, 11:22current

    First published.

How we work

This site models an investigative reporter rather than a wire desk. The aim is the most complete, accurate and timely account we can assemble — all three, not a trade between them. Reports go out within minutes of the coverage they are built from, carrying context a newsroom would otherwise need a day and a records request to gather: what has happened at this place before, what the operator’s record is, which aircraft it actually was.

Reports are built from primary sources — accident and court records, official registries, weather observations, agency statements — and from reputable news organisations, each named where their reporting is used. Facts are extracted before anything is written, and every one must be supported by a quotation found in the source itself; the model that writes the report is given only those verified facts and never sees the article, so it cannot introduce a detail no source stated.

Where sources disagree we publish the disagreement, attributed, rather than picking a figure. Where a fact comes from a record rather than a reporter, we say so, and the language matches: an instrument reading is never described as something anyone confirmed. Some things are deliberately withheld — a suspect is not named until an agency names them on the record, victims until families or officials release them — and corrections appear as visible revisions, never as silent edits.

None of that makes a report true. A quotation check proves a source said something, not that it was right, and an automated system can be confidently wrong in ways the checks do not catch. If something here is wrong, the feedback above is how it gets found. The full methodology, including what we refuse to publish.