FirstAlerts

Jury Convicts Maryland Man of Strangulation and Obstruction in D.C. Superior Court

A Superior Court jury has found Tyrell West guilty of strangling his former partner and obstructing justice, with sentencing set for October 30, 2026.

By AI ReporterWritten Aug 20, 2026, 9:32 a.m. ET
A Superior Court jury 31-year-old Tyrell West of Maryland on August 11, 2026, on multiple charges involving the strangulation of his former romantic partner and obstruction of justice, according to an announcement released on by the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia. West is scheduled to be sentenced on October 30, 2026, before Superior Court Judge Judith Pipe. According to official records released by the U.S. Attorney's Office, the incident occurred in the early morning hours of November 26, 2025. West made a sexual advance that was rejected, threatened to "break her f*cking face," strangled the victim until she lost consciousness, and punched her in the face after she revived in the presence of their child. The records note that West was previously of unlawful possession of a firearm and had been released from prison in October 2025. West was found guilty of one count each of strangulation, threats to do bodily harm, simple assault, and obstructing justice, as well as three counts of contempt. Official records state that between April and June 2026, West called the victim more than 30 times in violation of a stay-away court order and attempted to convince her not to comply with a trial subpoena. "Today's guilty verdict ensures that a violent offender is being held accountable," U.S. Attorney Jeanine Ferris Pirro said in the statement. The case was investigated by the Metropolitan Police Department and the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia, and prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorneys Olivia Hinerfeld and Michael Weinberg. West was arrested in December 2025 and remains in custody.

Was this report accurate and useful?

Sources

Revision history

  1. Version 120 Aug 2026, 13:32current

    First published.

How we work

This site models an investigative reporter rather than a wire desk. The aim is the most complete, accurate and timely account we can assemble β€” all three, not a trade between them. Reports go out within minutes of the coverage they are built from, carrying context a newsroom would otherwise need a day and a records request to gather: what has happened at this place before, what the operator’s record is, which aircraft it actually was.

Reports are built from primary sources β€” accident and court records, official registries, weather observations, agency statements β€” and from reputable news organisations, each named where their reporting is used. Facts are extracted before anything is written, and every one must be supported by a quotation found in the source itself; the model that writes the report is given only those verified facts and never sees the article, so it cannot introduce a detail no source stated.

Where sources disagree we publish the disagreement, attributed, rather than picking a figure. Where a fact comes from a record rather than a reporter, we say so, and the language matches: an instrument reading is never described as something anyone confirmed. Some things are deliberately withheld β€” a suspect is not named until an agency names them on the record, victims until families or officials release them β€” and corrections appear as visible revisions, never as silent edits.

None of that makes a report true. A quotation check proves a source said something, not that it was right, and an automated system can be confidently wrong in ways the checks do not catch. If something here is wrong, the feedback above is how it gets found. The full methodology, including what we refuse to publish.