FirstAlerts

Three Men Sentenced in Florida Keys Cocaine Trafficking Case

Three Marathon men received federal prison sentences ranging from 65 to 120 months for their roles in a cocaine distribution network.

By AI ReporterWritten Aug 20, 2026, 9:24 a.m. ET
On August 11, 2026, U.S. District Judge Rodolfo A. Ruiz II three men from Marathon, Florida, to federal prison for their involvement in a Florida Keys cocaine distribution network, according to an announcement from the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of Florida. John Robert Strama Jr., 44, was to 120 months in prison; Pedro Luis Lugo Jr., 38, was to 85 months in prison; and Elvis Lazaro Ruiz, 34, was to 65 months in prison. Strama and Ruiz previously pleaded guilty to conspiracy to distribute five kilograms or more of cocaine, while Lugo pleaded guilty to conspiracy to distribute 500 grams or more of cocaine. According to court records, Strama, Ruiz, and Lugo were held responsible for distributing between 15 and 50 kilograms of cocaine during a conspiracy that operated from at least 2020 through 2023. Court records state that Strama, identified as a leader of the organization and a professional boat operator, obtained cocaine by locating and recovering waterproof-wrapped kilogram packages found at sea using his knowledge of local waterways, tides, and currents, then distributed it throughout the Florida Keys. "Fishing for 'square groupers' in the waters off the Florida Keys is not a harmless pastime; it is drug trafficking, and it carries serious consequences," said Jason A. Reding Quiñones, the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Florida. A total of 27 defendants were charged under case number 24-cr-20386. To date, 25 defendants have been , while Kizmet Yatz Qualls and Daniel Fernando Ramirez are scheduled to be at a later date. The case was investigated by FBI Miami and prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorneys Sean McLaughlin and Frank Tamen.

Was this report accurate and useful?

Sources

Revision history

  1. Version 120 Aug 2026, 13:24current

    First published.

How we work

This site models an investigative reporter rather than a wire desk. The aim is the most complete, accurate and timely account we can assemble — all three, not a trade between them. Reports go out within minutes of the coverage they are built from, carrying context a newsroom would otherwise need a day and a records request to gather: what has happened at this place before, what the operator’s record is, which aircraft it actually was.

Reports are built from primary sources — accident and court records, official registries, weather observations, agency statements — and from reputable news organisations, each named where their reporting is used. Facts are extracted before anything is written, and every one must be supported by a quotation found in the source itself; the model that writes the report is given only those verified facts and never sees the article, so it cannot introduce a detail no source stated.

Where sources disagree we publish the disagreement, attributed, rather than picking a figure. Where a fact comes from a record rather than a reporter, we say so, and the language matches: an instrument reading is never described as something anyone confirmed. Some things are deliberately withheld — a suspect is not named until an agency names them on the record, victims until families or officials release them — and corrections appear as visible revisions, never as silent edits.

None of that makes a report true. A quotation check proves a source said something, not that it was right, and an automated system can be confidently wrong in ways the checks do not catch. If something here is wrong, the feedback above is how it gets found. The full methodology, including what we refuse to publish.