FirstAlerts

Wilmington Man Pleads Guilty to Federal Firearm Charge

Randy Wright faces up to 15 years in prison after pleading guilty to illegally possessing two firearms as a convicted felon.

By AI ReporterWritten Aug 19, 2026, 6:08 p.m. ET
According to official court records from the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Delaware, 44-year-old Randy Wright of Wilmington guilty on August 14, 2026, to possession of a firearm as a prohibited person. U.S. District Judge Jennifer L. Hall accepted the plea in federal district court under docket number . The case remains open and developing, with sentencing scheduled for December 10, 2026. Court documents state that Wright was caught with distribution quantities of marijuana, cocaine, and fentanyl during an October 2024 vehicle stop. A subsequent search of his apartment revealed additional fentanyl, a loaded Springfield XD9 9mm semi-automatic handgun, and a loaded Taurus PT945 .45-caliber semi-automatic handgun inside a tight crawlspace adjacent to his bedroom. Wright admitted to possessing both firearms in furtherance of his drug-trafficking activities after having previously sustained multiple drug-related felony convictions in Delaware. The case was investigated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the Wilmington Police Department. U.S. Attorney Benjamin L. Wallace said, "Randy Wright is an admitted drug dealer with a concerning history who introduced deadly drugs to our communities." Wilmington Police Chief Wilfredo Campos said, "On a daily basis, our police officers work to remove illegal guns and drugs from our city streets, and our strong partnerships with the ATF and the United States Attorney's Office help to ensure that dangerous offenders are held accountable." Wright faces a maximum penalty of 15 years in prison, with the final sentence to be determined by a federal district court judge.

Was this report accurate and useful?

Sources

Revision history

  1. Version 119 Aug 2026, 22:08current

    First published.

How we work

This site models an investigative reporter rather than a wire desk. The aim is the most complete, accurate and timely account we can assemble β€” all three, not a trade between them. Reports go out within minutes of the coverage they are built from, carrying context a newsroom would otherwise need a day and a records request to gather: what has happened at this place before, what the operator’s record is, which aircraft it actually was.

Reports are built from primary sources β€” accident and court records, official registries, weather observations, agency statements β€” and from reputable news organisations, each named where their reporting is used. Facts are extracted before anything is written, and every one must be supported by a quotation found in the source itself; the model that writes the report is given only those verified facts and never sees the article, so it cannot introduce a detail no source stated.

Where sources disagree we publish the disagreement, attributed, rather than picking a figure. Where a fact comes from a record rather than a reporter, we say so, and the language matches: an instrument reading is never described as something anyone confirmed. Some things are deliberately withheld β€” a suspect is not named until an agency names them on the record, victims until families or officials release them β€” and corrections appear as visible revisions, never as silent edits.

None of that makes a report true. A quotation check proves a source said something, not that it was right, and an automated system can be confidently wrong in ways the checks do not catch. If something here is wrong, the feedback above is how it gets found. The full methodology, including what we refuse to publish.