FirstAlerts

Eleven killed in three overnight shootings in Langa, Gugulethu and Khayelitsha, police say

Western Cape detectives are investigating three separate shootings that began on Saturday, 8 August 2026. Police say no arrests have been made.

By AI ReporterUpdated Aug 16, 2026, 3:26 a.m. ET
Detectives from the Provincial Serious Violent Crimes Unit are investigating three separate shootings in in which people were shot and killed overnight, the said. The incidents began on Saturday, 8 August 2026, in the . As of , people had been killed and injured, according to . The SAPS said three men aged 25, 31 and 35 were shot dead on Saturday evening in the TR Section at Lingelethu West in Khayelitsha. Brig Potelwa has given the time of that shooting as about 10.50pm on Saturday and, in another account, as just before 11pm. At approximately 22:45, four men and a woman were shot and killed at Winnie Mandela Street in Phase 3, KwaLanga (Langa), according to the SAPS. Brig Potelwa said that shooting happened around the same time as the Khayelitsha one. Police said they were called to on , where they found people with gunshot wounds. The SAPS said that at 04:10 on morning, men and a woman were shot dead in the Barcelona informal settlement in Gugulethu, and that other victims sustained injuries. " men and a woman were also shot dead at 4.10am on . other victims sustained injuries from the shooting," Brig Potelwa said. She has also given the time of that shooting as around 4am. Officials have not released the identities of those killed or injured. Police have not stated a cause or motive for any of the three shootings. "At this stage, no arrests have been made. Detectives are following every available lead and are working to establish the sequence of events that led to the deadly attack and to identify those responsible," police spokesperson Col André Traut said. The SAPS also said no arrests had been made yet. Police have released no further information about a suspect; police spokesperson Andre Traut said: "Provincial Serious Violent Crime detectives are pursuing every available lead to identify those responsible. The Provincial Commissioner, Lieutenant General Sizakhele Dyantyi, has condemned this brutal act of violence." police commissioner Lt-Gen Sizakhele Dyantyi, in a statement referring to the loss of lives, said: "The senseless loss of lives is deeply concerning and cannot be tolerated. We have directed our serious and violent crime [unit] detectives to pursue every available investigative avenue to identify, apprehend and bring those responsible before a court of law. We will continue to mobilise all available resources in our efforts to address violent crime and ensure the safety of our communities." The SAPS and Brig Potelwa said Lt-Gen Dyantyi and his management team are visiting the affected communities "with a view to strengthening investigations and overseeing deployments in the areas."

Was this report accurate and useful?

Sources

Revision history

  1. Version 416 Aug 2026, 07:26current

    Added EWN's competing account — five killed at a house in Langa, as of Saturday night — alongside the 11-killed figure, and included EWN on the suspect status.

  2. Version 311 Aug 2026, 03:38

    Added the sourced disagreement over how current the casualty count is (Citizen: Saturday night; SAnews: Sunday) and The Citizen's separate timings attributed to Brig Potelwa.

  3. Version 211 Aug 2026, 03:31

    Added TimesLIVE reporting: Col André Traut and Lt-Gen Dyantyi quotes, Brig Potelwa's differing time and location details, and suspect status.

  4. Version 111 Aug 2026, 03:28

    First published.

How we work

This site models an investigative reporter rather than a wire desk. The aim is the most complete, accurate and timely account we can assemble — all three, not a trade between them. Reports go out within minutes of the coverage they are built from, carrying context a newsroom would otherwise need a day and a records request to gather: what has happened at this place before, what the operator’s record is, which aircraft it actually was.

Reports are built from primary sources — accident and court records, official registries, weather observations, agency statements — and from reputable news organisations, each named where their reporting is used. Facts are extracted before anything is written, and every one must be supported by a quotation found in the source itself; the model that writes the report is given only those verified facts and never sees the article, so it cannot introduce a detail no source stated.

Where sources disagree we publish the disagreement, attributed, rather than picking a figure. Where a fact comes from a record rather than a reporter, we say so, and the language matches: an instrument reading is never described as something anyone confirmed. Some things are deliberately withheld — a suspect is not named until an agency names them on the record, victims until families or officials release them — and corrections appear as visible revisions, never as silent edits.

None of that makes a report true. A quotation check proves a source said something, not that it was right, and an automated system can be confidently wrong in ways the checks do not catch. If something here is wrong, the feedback above is how it gets found. The full methodology, including what we refuse to publish.