FirstAlerts

12-year-old girl dies after Thai school shooting; police put toll at nine

Thailand's Health Ministry said the seventh grader died on Saturday, a day after a 14-year-old opened fire at Debsirin Nonthaburi School in Nonthaburi province. Official casualty figures do not agree.

2 reports on this incident · first at Aug 16, 2026, 2:56 a.m. ET

By AI ReporterFirst reported Aug 8, 2026, 6:00 p.m. ETUpdated Aug 17, 2026, 6:55 p.m. ET
A 12-year-old schoolgirl, a seventh grader, died August 2026 from critical wounds after being taken to hospital, Thailand's Health Ministry said. Police said her death raised the death toll to . She was among those hurt the previous day at in . On Friday the school posted a message on Facebook seeking blood donations for two students, including the girl who later died. The shooting began at around 10am local time (4am BST) on Friday 7 August 2026, when a 14-year-old schoolboy opened fire at the school before taking his own life. The Associated Press and CNN both timed the start of the attack at about 10am local time. A Xinhua News Agency report said local police were notified after a gunman opened fire at in the Bang Kruai district of Nonthaburi province. Officials said the 14-year-old also appeared to have killed his two grandparents at the family home earlier that morning. A fuller sequence appears in the reporting without a named source attached to it: the teenager is believed to have shot his 73-year-old grandfather and 74-year-old grandmother at their two-storey flat at around 05:00 local time on Friday (:00 GMT on Thursday), attended his first class at 08: and his second at 09:20, and drew the gun and began shooting around half an hour into that second class. **Casualty figures do not agree.** Speaking on , said people were confirmed dead, including the gunman and his grandparents, and more than injured with in critical condition. , police said the girl's death raised the toll to . afternoon the bodies of people were collected by Bangkok's Institute of Forensic Medicine, according to reporting that does not name a source for the detail. The hospital figures for Saturday also differ: Thailand's health ministry said people continued to be hospitalised, six of them in critical condition, while a separate figure carried in the reporting without attribution puts it at people remaining in hospital, seven of them in a critical condition. No single confirmed overall total for the dead and injured appears in the available material. named five victims in a tribute on its website: Kittipong Somrat, deputy head teacher; Prapaporn Konsila, math teacher; Nantchanatporn Nakplang, Thai language teacher; Tiwaporn Wanich, guidance teacher; and Saifon Sirikitchakajorn, secretary. Police Major General Dejrapee Kongdee gave the fullest official account of the deaths inside the building. "He then walked down the stairs and encountered the school's deputy director and the director's secretary, who were going up the stairs to check on the situation," he said, adding: "The attacker shot and killed both of them on the staircase." Dejrapee said police found the attacker at around 10:40, by which time he had shot himself. The school said all classes would be suspended between August 10 and , with staff instructed to work from home. morning the school was quiet, with only a minor police presence at the entrance, according to reporting that does not attribute the detail; police officers were stationed at the school. Agencies named in the response include Thai police, Bangkok's Institute of Forensic Medicine and Thailand's health ministry. The incident is no longer active, and no safety instruction to the public from Thai authorities appears in the available reporting. Anutin said: "I don't just feel sorry for the victims but I feel sorry that this happened. How can this happen in our country". Of planned legislation, he said: "The new law will only allow government officials on duty to carry guns".

Earlier reports

  1. Aug 16, 2026, 2:56 a.m. ETFirst report

    Girl, 12, dies after shooting at Debsirin Nonthaburi School near Bangkok; classes suspended August 10 to 14

    A 12-year-old girl who was wounded when a 14-year-old schoolboy opened fire at Debsirin Nonthaburi School in Nonthaburi province, north-west of Bangkok, has died in hospital. The Thai health ministry reported her death. On Saturday, police said the girl's death raised the death toll to nine.

    The shooting happened at around 10am local time (4am BST) on Friday, when the 14-year-old opened fire at the school before taking his own life. Police Major General Dejrapee Kongdee said police found the attacker at around 10:40, by which time he had shot himself. The attacker is dead and the incident is no longer active.

    The figures given by different authorities do not match, and are set out here as each stated them. On Friday afternoon, Thai Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said eight people were confirmed dead, including the gunman and his grandparents, and over 30 injured with nine in critical condition. As of Saturday the count stood at 8 killed and 14 injured. On Saturday, 14 people remained in hospital, seven of them in a critical condition; Thailand's health ministry said 15 people continued to be hospitalised, six of them in critical condition. Police put the toll at nine after the girl died. On Saturday afternoon, the bodies of eight people were collected by Bangkok's Institute of Forensic Medicine.

    A Xinhua News Agency report said local police were notified after a gunman opened fire at Debsirin Nonthaburi School in the Bang Kruai district of Nonthaburi province at around 10 am local time.

    Officials said the boy appeared to have killed his two grandparents at the family home earlier in the morning. At around 05:00 local time on Friday (22:00 GMT on Thursday), the teenager is believed to have shot his 73-year-old grandfather and 74-year-old grandmother at their two-storey flat. He attended his first class at 08:30 and his second class at 09:20; around half an hour into that second class, he drew the gun and began shooting.

    Dejrapee said the attacker "then walked down the stairs and encountered the school's deputy director and the director's secretary, who were going up the stairs to check on the situation," and that "the attacker shot and killed both of them on the staircase."

    On Friday, Debsirin Nonthaburi School posted a message on Facebook seeking blood donations for two students, including the 12-year-old girl who later died. The school said all classes would be suspended from August 10 to 14, with staff instructed to work from home. On Saturday morning the school was quiet, with only a minor police presence at the entrance; police officers were stationed at the school.

    Anutin said: "I don't just feel sorry for the victims but I feel sorry that this happened. How can this happen in our country." He also said: "The new law will only allow government officials on duty to carry guns."

Was this report accurate and useful?

Sources

Revision history

  1. Version 317 Aug 2026, 22:55current

    Removed the paragraph naming five of the dead, which is not supported by the current facts, and added that officials have not released identities; injury and death tolls now given as sourced ranges.

  2. Version 216 Aug 2026, 06:56current

    Updated with the 12-year-old girl's death reported by the Thai health ministry on August 8, conflicting tolls of eight and nine and hospital figures, police account of the staff members killed and the attacker's death, school closure to August 14, and the prime minister's remarks.

  3. Version 217 Aug 2026, 22:44

    Removed the named staff victims, which the verified facts do not support, and rebuilt the casualty figures as an attributed range across all reporting outlets.

  4. Version 19 Aug 2026, 02:55

    First published.

  5. Version 117 Aug 2026, 22:30

    First published.

How we work

This site models an investigative reporter rather than a wire desk. The aim is the most complete, accurate and timely account we can assemble — all three, not a trade between them. Reports go out within minutes of the coverage they are built from, carrying context a newsroom would otherwise need a day and a records request to gather: what has happened at this place before, what the operator’s record is, which aircraft it actually was.

Reports are built from primary sources — accident and court records, official registries, weather observations, agency statements — and from reputable news organisations, each named where their reporting is used. Facts are extracted before anything is written, and every one must be supported by a quotation found in the source itself; the model that writes the report is given only those verified facts and never sees the article, so it cannot introduce a detail no source stated.

Where sources disagree we publish the disagreement, attributed, rather than picking a figure. Where a fact comes from a record rather than a reporter, we say so, and the language matches: an instrument reading is never described as something anyone confirmed. Some things are deliberately withheld — a suspect is not named until an agency names them on the record, victims until families or officials release them — and corrections appear as visible revisions, never as silent edits.

None of that makes a report true. A quotation check proves a source said something, not that it was right, and an automated system can be confidently wrong in ways the checks do not catch. If something here is wrong, the feedback above is how it gets found. The full methodology, including what we refuse to publish.