Osun police name three injured in Ilesa rally shooting; Amotekun operative still held
Officials say the state environment commissioner has been released on bail while an Amotekun Corps operative arrested with him remains in custody, and the cause of the August 8 shooting has not been determined.
2 reports on this incident · first at Aug 10, 2026, 11:55 p.m. ET
Earlier reports
Aug 10, 2026, 11:55 p.m. ETFirst report
Three to four injured in shooting at Ilesa political rally, Osun police say
Between three and four people were injured in a shooting at a political gathering in Ilesa on Saturday 8 August 2026. The two outlets reporting the case do not agree on the number: pmnewsnigeria.com reported three injured as of Saturday, citing a press statement by the Osun State Police Command, while dailypost.ng reported four. Neither figure has been reconciled in either outlet's account, and the police have not published a revised count since Saturday's statement.
The Osun State Police Command released the names of three of the injured: Tobi Ilesanmi, Wasiu Alanide and Aderemi Adedeji.
Accounts of the occasion differ. pmnewsnigeria.com described a political procession or rally of party members in Ilesa ahead of the August gubernatorial election in Osun State, while dailypost.ng described an All Progressives Congress (APC) rally in Ilesa. The setting is context only: police have not stated a reason for the shooting, and the circumstances have not been determined. The city is in Osun State, given as "Osun State" by dailypost.ng and as "Osun" by pmnewsnigeria.com. Neither outlet locates the shooting more precisely than the city.
DSP Abiodun Ojelabi, spokesperson of the Osun State Police Command, said: "Immediately the incident was reported, our personnel moved to the scene and cordoned off the area before some exhibits were recovered, which included expended cartridges and Amotekun personnel caps." He said that "Mr Adejoorin was arrested at the scene and taken to the command for questioning as part of the investigation process,". The Command said the investigation "will be conducted professionally, transparently and without political bias, and that anyone found culpable will be made to face the full weight of the law."
The status of the man named by police is also reported differently: dailypost.ng reported he had been released on bail, while pmnewsnigeria.com reported him in custody. Ojelabi said: "It is true that the commissioner has been released on bail today, but I am yet to clear the situation with the Amotekun personnel arrested with him,". Neither outlet has since clarified which account stands, or what became of the Amotekun personnel he referred to.
The Osun State Police Command, the FID-IRT and the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID) are listed among the responding agencies.
Police urged political actors, their supporters and members of the public to remain calm, to refrain from taking the law into their own hands, and to avoid spreading unverified information capable of escalating tension.
Was this report accurate and useful?
Sources
- Police release Osun commissioner arrested over alleged shooting in Ilesa - Blueprint Newspapers Limitedblueprint.ng
- Osun Commissioner released on bail after Ilesa APC rally shootingdailypost.ng
- Violence resurfaces in Osun as shootings in Ilesa leave 3 injured, commissioner arrested - P.M. Newspmnewsnigeria.com
- Osun Police Release Environment Commissioner After Arrest Over Ilesa Shooting | Sahara Reporterssaharareporters.com
- Police release Osun commissioner arrested over alleged shooting in Ilesavanguardngr.com
Revision history
- Version 211 Aug 2026, 04:28current
Sources now agree the commissioner was released on bail with the Amotekun operative still held; added Sahara Reporters' account, the Ilesa West rally detail, location-granularity conflict and a further Ojelabi quote.
- Version 111 Aug 2026, 03:55current
First published.
- Version 111 Aug 2026, 04:03
First published.
How we work
This site models an investigative reporter rather than a wire desk. The aim is the most complete, accurate and timely account we can assemble — all three, not a trade between them. Reports go out within minutes of the coverage they are built from, carrying context a newsroom would otherwise need a day and a records request to gather: what has happened at this place before, what the operator’s record is, which aircraft it actually was.
Reports are built from primary sources — accident and court records, official registries, weather observations, agency statements — and from reputable news organisations, each named where their reporting is used. Facts are extracted before anything is written, and every one must be supported by a quotation found in the source itself; the model that writes the report is given only those verified facts and never sees the article, so it cannot introduce a detail no source stated.
Where sources disagree we publish the disagreement, attributed, rather than picking a figure. Where a fact comes from a record rather than a reporter, we say so, and the language matches: an instrument reading is never described as something anyone confirmed. Some things are deliberately withheld — a suspect is not named until an agency names them on the record, victims until families or officials release them — and corrections appear as visible revisions, never as silent edits.
None of that makes a report true. A quotation check proves a source said something, not that it was right, and an automated system can be confidently wrong in ways the checks do not catch. If something here is wrong, the feedback above is how it gets found. The full methodology, including what we refuse to publish.