FirstAlerts

Three killed, one hospitalized in shooting at North Carolina home, state investigators say

The North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation said deputies responding to a home on Brooks Road in Prospect Hill just before 8 a.m. Wednesday found multiple people shot; the agency says there is no threat to the public.

By AI ReporterFirst reported Aug 5, 2026, 1:42 p.m. ETWritten Aug 19, 2026, 8:51 p.m. ET
people were killed and one person was taken to a hospital after a shooting at in , , on Wednesday, August 5, 2026, according to the State Bureau of Investigation. The count of killed and one injured is the bureau's, given as of , and may be revised as the investigation continues. The State Bureau of Investigation said deputies responded to a call for service at the home just before 8 a.m. "Deputies arriving on scene found multiple people who had been shot," the agency said. "One person was transported to Duke University Hospital with a gunshot wound, and there are multiple other fatalities." Sheriff Tony Durden said, "One person was transferred to Duke University Hospital with gunshot wounds and we do not have a condition." Authorities placed the shooting in , north of Raleigh. Officially, the location has been described only to the level of the . Sheriff Durden said "everyone involved is an adult and belongs to the same family," and added: "This was an isolated incident and please keep the family in your prayers." Neither the bureau nor the sheriff identified those killed or the person taken to the hospital, and neither gave a motive. A suspect is dead, . The State Bureau of Investigation said, "SBI Crime scene investigators are on scene processing evidence and conducting interviews. There is NO THREAT to the general public." agencies gathered outside the home on Brooks Road as the investigation continued: the Sheriff's Office, the State Highway Patrol and the State Bureau of Investigation. The incident is no longer active.

Was this report accurate and useful?

Sources

Revision history

  1. Version 120 Aug 2026, 00:51current

    First published.

How we work

This site models an investigative reporter rather than a wire desk. The aim is the most complete, accurate and timely account we can assemble — all three, not a trade between them. Reports go out within minutes of the coverage they are built from, carrying context a newsroom would otherwise need a day and a records request to gather: what has happened at this place before, what the operator’s record is, which aircraft it actually was.

Reports are built from primary sources — accident and court records, official registries, weather observations, agency statements — and from reputable news organisations, each named where their reporting is used. Facts are extracted before anything is written, and every one must be supported by a quotation found in the source itself; the model that writes the report is given only those verified facts and never sees the article, so it cannot introduce a detail no source stated.

Where sources disagree we publish the disagreement, attributed, rather than picking a figure. Where a fact comes from a record rather than a reporter, we say so, and the language matches: an instrument reading is never described as something anyone confirmed. Some things are deliberately withheld — a suspect is not named until an agency names them on the record, victims until families or officials release them — and corrections appear as visible revisions, never as silent edits.

None of that makes a report true. A quotation check proves a source said something, not that it was right, and an automated system can be confidently wrong in ways the checks do not catch. If something here is wrong, the feedback above is how it gets found. The full methodology, including what we refuse to publish.